Being in the non-profit field is not an easy path. It takes a lot of fortitude, commitment, and a super strong belief in the cause with which you’ve aligned your self and your soul.
Over the years, I’ve referred to this poster (shown above). It’s taped on the wall in my office and sometimes I will stop, in the middle of my day, and just read it aloud to myself.
It’s a little difficult to see, so I’ll transcribe it for you. It’s attributed to Mother Teresa~
(Kent Keith actually wrote this when he was a sophomore at Harvard College, as part of a book for student leaders entitled “The Silent Revolution; Dynamic Leadership in the Student Council”.
Mother Teresa had it on the wall of her children’s home in Calcutta, which is why it’s confusing about whether or not it was hers.
Mother Teresa’s Prayer (for when the going gets tough)
People are often unreasonable, irrational and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.
Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today will often be forgotten.
Do good anyway.
Give the best you have and it will never be enough.
Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
~ Kent Keith
Today, I was reading Vu Le’s blog post, I saw that he had seen some of the same frustrations that I see in my clients’ eyes and in other organizations staff that are working hard to make a difference in today’s political environment. Or, in any environment for that matter.
It’s just tough to stay strong sometimes! It’s exhausting to have so many plates spinning, and the one thing that will never be “done” is fundraising.
You can see the entire post from Vu Le’s Nonprofit AF blog if you want to ponder the concept of hope in the middle of your day. 🙂 I’ve chosen a few of my favorites to include here. I can TOTALLY relate!
8 Modern Day Commandments for the Non-Profit Professional
- The years and energy you spend working toward a vision may be forgotten and credit may go to those who come after you.Work toward your vision anyway.
- The life-changing programs and organizations you build may be destroyed by the whims of those with resources and influence. Build life-changing programs and organizations anyway.
- The community you love and work hard to strengthen may occasionally doubt your motives and attack you. Work hard to strengthen this community anyway.
- The people you help may never understand or appreciate the hours your put in or other sacrifices you make. Help people anyway.
- When you fully engage in conversations about race, gender, disability, and other identities, you may make mistakes, get misinterpreted, or get hurt. Fully engage in these conversations anyway.
- If you take the high road, you may get attacked by those who take the low road, and you may not be able to defend yourself. Take the high road anyway.
- For all your years of effort, and possibly a lifetime of dedication, you may only be able to lay one stepping stone on a path that requires a thousand. Lay that one stepping stone down anyway.
- The world, including your friends, family, and community, may never say thank-you for all the good you do for it. Do good for the world anyway.
It’s hard work. I hope this helps you fight the fight another day. Keep going!